At EQL our mission is to put high heat, hyped products into the hands of real fans – like many of you, for us the journey and experience of the hyped moment is just as (if not more!) important than the outcome. In order to make hyped experiences as elite as possible, we sometimes need Users to provide us with details and information about themselves. We don’t ask this lightly and take our responsibilities in ensuring the safety, security and proper use of User information seriously.
Under the Australian Privacy Act, “Personal Information” is defined as:
Information or an opinion about an identified individual, or an individual who is reasonably identifiable:
(a) whether the information or opinion is true or not; and
(b) whether the information or opinion is recorded in a material form or not.
ABOUT EQL AND OUR APPROACH TO PRIVACY
EQL is the developer and provider of an integrated, web-based e-commerce platform (“Platform”) that connects retailers and brands of high-heat, hyped goods with real fans. Most of our interactions with Users will be online or digital.
At EQL we commit to the following principles in how we interact with Users Personal Information. Typically we will only:
- collect, use or share your Personal Information with your consent (unless it is not reasonable in the circumstances to obtain your consent and it is legally permissible for us to do so) or when required by a legal obligation; and
- interact with your Personal Information (a) provide you with access to, and the benefits of, the EQL Platform, and to (b) help us improve and develop the EQL Platform.
EQL’S COLLECTION OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
EQL collects Personal Information from individuals in one of three main ways:
- Directly from Users, when they interact with EQL or our Platform (e.g. when you enter one of our launches);
- Passively from Users, when they interact with our website, online platforms and digital presence;
- From third-parties in certain, specific circumstances (e.g. where a User’s information is passed on by a retailer or brand that they are a member of).
Here’s a bit more detail about each of these scenarios:
Personal Information collected directly
When a User accesses our Platform or reaches out to us we may collect the following types of Personal Information directly and consensually:
- Contact information, including your name, date of birth, email, and phone number;
- Delivery information, including your shipping address;
- Payment information, including your payment preferences and credit card information;
- in some cases, membership information regarding your pre-existing participation in a retailer’s membership program;
- Product information, including information about your preferences for product launches entered through the EQL platform that you directly input (e.g. the preferred sizing);;
- Enquiry information, which may include contextual factors about your interactions with EQL or our Platform (e.g. if a User’s support ticket contains information to help us resolve an issue); and
- Feedback information, which will include any opinions or feedback you share with us in unsolicited communications or when you respond to one of our surveys or questionnaires.
Personal Information collected passively
As you access, used and interact with the EQL Platform we may collect the following types of Personal Information about your usage:
- Browser and device information, relating to the technical means by which you’re interacting with EQL;
- Locational and network information, such as the time zone or IP address from which you access the EQL Platform;
- Web data tracking information, such as data from cookies stored on your device, including cookie IDs and settings, as well as logs of your usage of EQL’;
- In rare cases, randomised session logs and recordings of Users’ interactions with the Platform;
- Product information about your product preferences that is built up through your continued use of the Platform; and
- Content that you post or submit, including posts on social media.
Personal Information collected from third-parties
In certain specific situations, EQL will collect Personal Information about you from retailers or brands who we are running launches with (e.g. when we are provided with a membership list for a particular launch).
WHY EQL COLLECTS YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION AND WHAT WE USE IT FOR
Everything we do at EQL is geared towards putting hyped products into the hands of real fans. Although we collect different types of Personal Information from a number of sources, our overarching aim is delivering the best hype experiences for fans and Brands.
Here are the main ways we use Personal Information to achieve these objectives – most of them directly relate to making sure our Platform works as expected and is constantly improving!
EQL uses the contact, delivery, product and payment information Users provide to run our launches and tee up high-heat purchases between Users and retailers.
Launches for real fans
EQL’s industry leading bot-detection and fan-detection process may use a combination of all the types of Personal Information we collect. We go through great pains to make sure our launches are Run Fair and free of bad actors.
Communicating with Users
EQL will use contact, enquiry and feedback information to communicate with individuals about their enquiries, interest in events and for other administrative purposes related to the specific reason for which the Personal Information was collected.
If Users have consented, EQL will also use contact information to share relevant news and updates about EQL and the EQL Platform.
User account support
EQL may use contact, delivery and payment information to verify and process updates to User accounts (e.g. resetting passwords or updating changed details).
Research and improvements to the Platform
We use a broad range of information collected by Users to make improvements across our Platform, including information that is collected both directly, passively and from third parties. We use all kinds of information available to us to do this, and from time to time this might include Users’ Personal Information.
Whenever Users’ Personal Information is used for this purpose our preference is to aggregate, anonymise or de-identify the information wherever possible.
Where Users have expressly consented, EQL will use contact, product, enquiry, content, product preferences and feedback information to provide Users with relevant marketing materials and offers. Users can always opt out of this through the functionality provided in each marketing communication (e.g. by clicking “unsubscribe” at the bottom of an email).
EQL may also use passively collected web data tracking information to display third-party marketing materials and offers we think may be welcome for Users. Users can stop or manage web data tracking information through their browser preferences or our cookie pop up.
EQL’S STORAGE AND DISCLOSURE OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
Generally, EQL does not disclose raw Personal Information to any third-parties not used in the provision of our Platform, except where it is necessary for the purposes of a launch. The most common type of disclosure here is to a retailer, and generally involves us disclosing:
- Contact, delivery and payment information of successful launch entrants; and
- where Users have consented, contact information and product preferences to be used for (cross) marketing purposes they can be contacted.
Where legally required we may also disclose Personal Information to law enforcement agencies, or another party that has a legitimate legal right to access the information. The above disclosures will only be made in circumstances where the recipient has provided an undertaking that they will maintain the confidentiality of the information and that they recognise the appropriate limitations placed on the use of the information.
In the event that an entity acquires ownership of EQL or our Platform, we may transfer any necessary Personal Information
EQL’S TREATMENT OF INFORMATION
As much as possible EQL aims to the informed and voluntary consent of individuals whenever it collects their information, or as soon as possible after. Users can always refuse or revoke this consent, but sometimes this will affect EQL’ ability to provide them with access to the EQL Platform or to assist with their requests – we’ll let you know if this is the case!
EQL will keep identifiable Personal Information confidential and will not sell any raw Personal Information to external third-parties, or otherwise disclose it to third parties that a User would not reasonably expect to have access to their Personal Information.
Privacy by design
De-identified information refers to information that cannot reasonably be used to identify a particular individual.Pseudonymised information refers to de-identified information that can only identify individuals only if it’s combined another, separate piece of information.
Information about individuals that can’t be used at all to identify them is referred to as anonymised information.
Where possible EQL will aim to collect, store and use anonymised information as a first preference, and if not, then pseudonymised information. This said, sometimes it is impractical or unreasonable for Person information to be de-identified or treated in this way (e.g. if we need contact details to reply to a User’s support ticket).
As we develop our Platform we always aim to limit the Personal Information we collect to what is required and legitimate.
EQL is committed to systems security and orginsational measures that protect Personal Information collected.
We are constantly improving the technical measures we use to collect, store and treat Personal Information, as well as the processes and measures we have in place if we ever need to respond to a data breach containing Personal Information.
We also ensure that the third party services we use to host and provide our Platform use industry standard security measures, and that their treatment of Personal Information is in accordance with our legal duties owed to Users.
EQL’S RETENTION OF INFORMATION
EQL retains Personal Information until it is no longer needed to facilitate launches or develop and improve our Platform. Because we our platform is always being improved this means we might end up using the Personal Information for a while. NB – if we do this our preference is still always going to be to try and de-identify or anonymise the relevant information!
If you have any concerns or want us to delete the information, please reach out at the contact details below. After verifying a deletion request we’ll make sure to process it as soon as possible!
In addition to our baseline retention, we will also retain identifiable Personal Information where we have legal and regulatory obligations to do so (e.g. for law enforcement or record keeping purposes). The most common type of Personal Information kept in this way will be records of successful entrants in EQL launches.
SPECIFIC RIGHTS OF EUROPEAN DATA SUBJECTS
Users who are habitually located in the European Union (‘EU Residents’) have additional rights in respect of their Personal Data (a term that is fundamentally interchangeable with Personal Information).
Users who are EU Residents should refer to Schedule 1 for more information regarding how EQL’ privacy practices in relation to their Personal Data.
SPECIFIC RIGHTS OF CALIFORNIAN DATA SUBJECTS
Users who are Californian residents have an additional right under the CCPA to opt-out of the sale of their Personal Information/Data. As stated above, EQL does not engage in this behaviour but you may still submit such an opt-out through this Form.
Californian residents may designate, in writing or through a power of attorney, an authorised agent to make requests on your behalf to exercise their rights under the CCPA. Before accepting such a request from an agent, EQL may require the agent to provide proof you have authorized it to act on your behalf, and we may need you to verify your identity directly with us.
EQL will not discriminate any Californian resident exercising their rights under the CCPA (or for any other User exercising their rights under laws relevant to them!)
MANAGING PERSONAL INFORMATION YOUR INFORMATION
Accessing and ensuring the accuracy of Personal Information
EQL takes reasonable steps to ensure that the Personal Information we collect and hold is accurate, up to date and complete.
Users have a right to access and request the correction of any of Personal Information we hold about them at any time. Any such requests should be made by directly contacting us at the details set out below and we’ll take all reasonable steps to verify and give effect to the request.
This said, there may be circumstances in which EQL cannot provide Users with access to information. We will advise you of these reasons if this is the case.
EQL has appointed a Privacy Officer to be the first point of contact for all privacy related matters and to assist in ensuring our compliance with our privacy obligations.
Privacy Officer – firstname.lastname@example.org
In this case we’ll respond to you as quickly as possible, and we may contact you asking for further information.
SCHEDULE 1 - SPECIFIC RIGHTS OF EUROPEAN RESIDENTS
Under the GDPR, EQL is primarily a “controller” of Personal Data, as opposed to being a “processor”.
As part of its’ GDPR compliance, EQL provides the EQL Platform in a way that ensures:
Personal Data (i.e. Personal Information) is:
- processed fairly, lawfully and in a transparent manner; and
- collected and processed only for specified and lawful purposes.
Processed Personal Data (i.e. Personal Information that is used, held or disclosed by EQL) is:
- adequate, relevant and not excessive;
- accurate and, where necessary, kept up to date;
- kept secure, and not longer than necessary;
- not transferred to countries outside the European Union without adequate protection; and
- treated in accordance with individuals’ legal rights.
Whilst EQL strives to provide all Users with appropriate access and control over their data, individuals covered by the GDPR are also able to:
- Prescriptively restrict, limit or otherwise provide instructions to EQL regarding how we can use their Personal Data. This includes being able to object to how and why their Personal Data is used (e.g. by the removal of their consent for particular functions);
- Verbally request the erasure (i.e. deletion) of their information; and
- Request EQL provides all Personal Data held about them in a portable format, meaning in a way that is structured, commonly used and machine-readable. Users who exercise this right to data portability are also able to direct EQL to transmit this data to other entities who they intend to allow to process their Personal Data.
EQL will allow and undertake reasonable efforts assist Users that are European data subjects to exercise these rights, unless we have compelling and legitimate legal grounds not to. If we are unable to assist with the exercise of these rights this may impact our availability to provide the relevant User with access to our Platform.